Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Geriatric Taste Buds

Is it possible to have old people taste buds?

I mean I am just curious because I am sitting here eating pickled beets...and have had them every day this week.

I can remember going to visit my dad’s family down south and them eating turnip greens, pickled beets, tomatoes like apples, and turnips with salt and vinegar (although I will admit I always liked that one…) and being so totally grossed out. Perhaps it was my over processed taste buds that kept me from liking these things…or perhaps it was my immature pallet.

I don’t know, but I always assumed that kind of food “old” people food. All the “old” people in the family liked that stuff…you know, the stuff that’s all healthy and what not, and all that self-canned-crap” from the garden.

Yeah, well, as I plopped a few more pickled beets on my plate and Henry stuck his nose up and said…
“ewwww their PURPLE,” (clearly assaulting his white-food-only sensibilities,)

I realized…OH CRAP…I like old people food now…

Go in my pantry folks, and you will find all my self-canned-crap. Not to mention the words "when I was your age..." are creeping into my daily conversations with my kids...Clearly I am running down hill from here. Somebody just shoot me if I start eating pickled pigs feet though...

I'm just sayin'.

No comments: