Thursday, November 20, 2008

Inquiring Minds Want to Know...

I have often wondered why, at the end of the day, I feel like someone has stuck an ice pick through my brain and twirled it around a little just to be sure that if there was any chance of brain matter still intact, it too could be destroyed. It has been a dilemma of mine for many years, starting when my eldest and middle girls got to the age where they were both talking at the same time.

I realize that when we have children, we look into their cute little faces and dream of the day that they say “mama” or “dada,” but somehow no one warns us of what that wish will bring…

The endless question age.

My brain has been probed by alien questions such as: “If trees could talk, what would they say?” and “Why do cars drive on roads and not on houses?” or even “Are those clouds rain clouds or regular clouds…if they all have water how come they don’t all rain?” These are just the questions in a 3 minute tug of war getting Henry’s coat on this morning.

By the time I got him to preschool, we had covered extinction, the vastness of the universe, tree frogs eyes, grass cutting, cows and their many colors, as well as various sizes of people and clothes, who poops on potties and who doesn't, why animals don’t poop on potties, and where do they poop if they don’t have diapers…

I am pretty sure that there were some other observations, definitions and quandaries that I have blocked out or simply forgotten as there is only so much information that one person is able to store.

It’s been a while since Marshall and Caroline were in the endless question zone, and I forgot what it was like. At the end of the day these days, I am not as physically exhausted as I am mentally.

And Yes, I know that it is a GOOD thing for my kids to be inquisitive and it is supposed to be a sign of intelligence…

I agree…they are intelligent enough to know that if they wear my feeble brain out by noon, they get some good TV time in the afternoon…that is what they are intelligent about.

And I know that “because it just is” is not an answer, but daggonit , I DON’T KNOW WHY ERIC'S HAIR IS BROWN AND YOURS IS BLOND AND WHY PEOPLE WERE INVENTED THAT WAY…..

Whew….This is why I need a vineyard…

3 comments:

Justine said...

Wow, I've got all that to look forward to...

maine momma of 3 (formally: stayathomemommy from maine) said...

I love that I'm not the only one who gets all the fun questions and feels like she has forgotten everything by the end of the night... except the words to a laurie berkner song that keeps running on and on!!

Hearing your stories make me smile and know I'm not alone!!! Go moms!

Jodi said...

Your posts always show what I have to look forward to in the fairly near future.

*throwing out any sharp objects left in the house to hopefull keep my brain intact*