Thursday, March 20, 2008

What am I raising?

In this time of insecurity. This time of not knowing what the future holds for all of us, or our children, I am watching my kids flinging their arms over their heads like bad 80's dancers, music blaring, and I start to wonder, what am I raising?

Sitting around the table tonight for my first family dinner of the week, after a long week of sick kids, maneuvering schedules, hand-offs in the library parking lot, fixing dinner and running to choir practice, and all the other things that call us from our tables at night, I looked at my family and smiled. There is a saying between my sister and I:

"You know life is good when you can dance in the kitchen."

So here is my addition to today. In the midst of chaos, insecurities, sickness, and hanging on by a thread...it is still good enough to dance in the kitchen.

Alas, I am not sure that the messages my children will carry on from our music are OK, since, they are head banging to "Everybody Must Get Stoned." I won't even go into all the explanations I have come up with for that song, All the double etendres I have sought out, all the various justifications...but in the end does it really matter???? We are still dancing in the kitchen. For the record, I do recognize that my kids...well, lets just say, will not soon be on MTV, or dancing with the stars...although I am thankful for that. There is only so much of Mario Lopez one can take with out multiple trips to the gagatorium!

So here is my contribution for the day! and folks, the answer is blowing in the wind!


No comments: