Monday, October 6, 2008

Welcome to my Nerd World

I know that I am a total History and Discovery channel nerd and the other night they had a, I don't know, like, 400 hour marathon on Russian History. It was so fascinating...and no I am not going to break into song, or dance about my Russian experience...

There was a story about the time after Ivan the terrible when he had killed his only son, (heir to the throne,) and there were all sorts of people trying to take over running for Tsar of Russia. Apparently a Polish politico went to Russia undercover and tried to get into the ruling position. When it was found out that he was from Poland and trying to infiltrate their government they burned him at the stake, took his ashes, loaded them into a cannon and shot him toward Poland....

Now that is just plain justice Russia style. Jamie laughed, he thought it was awesome...you know, minus the torture and death part...I just thought it was fascinating, that we today think that we live in such a violent terrible world...

OH and the other really cool thing that I got from that show....Tsar means Caesar in Russian, and the first Tsar used it because he was trying to model Russia after the Roman Empire and rule it as the Caesar of Russia....kind of interesting huh?

It makes me wonder why, when I loved history so much, I had to have a history professor that made Ferris Beuller's teacher look facinating...there has to be a better way of teaching history that relays how utterly fascinating the subject is....*SIGH*

1 comment:

Rabid Outdoorsman said...

Bueller, Bueller, Bueller . . .

I to suffered through HS with one of those history teachers! :)