Thursday, March 26, 2009

Cleaning For My Children's Social Life

Tomorrow, I have 6 elementary school kids coming to my house. I watch my neighbors kids on half days etc... and my girls wanted to have "play dates." Since I never feel like I can have them because we live in such chaos lately, I gave in...poor things deserve a social life beyond their stuffed animals and eachother.

Since I have averaged about 4 meetings a week, and working at night, I have not gotten a whole lot of cleaning done. I figured one or two days I could get it all done if I concentrated on it.

Um...I clearly had my dirt blinders on. I started on the kitchen yesterday...and still haven't gotten it done. I opened the microwave, and I am pretty sure that a head exploded in there. I haven't even attempted to get into that.

The other day I dropped and entire canister of Applesauce on the floor, and it exploded all over the kitchen. I thought I had cleaned it all up, but today as I was cleaning, I noticed blobs of applesauce all over the cupboard doors that I had missed, on the back splash and I actually even found some on the light fixture...what the heck?

I walked into my girls bathroom, and turned around and walked out. I am NOT taking that one on with out a suit of armour, I might get toothpasted to death, so they are going to do it.

I had about 10 loads of laundry waiting to be folded which took me 2 hours...and I never did get to the mound of socks which I am fearing will take over the house and start marching in formation to seek and destroy other rogue clothing cells.

My husband came home tonight as I was exhausted, and cleaning the huge dust globules that form on lampshades and other objects that you don't regularly clean or notice until you are in a hurry or until one of those long hair like strands of dust and spider webs comes down and taps you on the shoulder. He has the audacity to say "I don't think you should worry about it, its just kids and they are just going to make a mess anyway."

After my head did a few 360's, I explained that I didn't want to have to file a missing persons report, or have to explain why when their mother comes to pick up their child, I cannot locate them and fear they may be lost in the mounds of laundry, or that unbeknownst to me, there was a pack of wild animals living in my kids rooms and they ate their kid...

I don't need the press of people wildly running from my home screaming "The Dingo Ate My Baby..."

So my house is at least passable, and by that I mean you can pass through each room without being attacked by the mess left there. Wish me luck with my house invasion tomorrow, as I am sure that I will wake up on Saturday to have to start the shoveling out process all over again.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nothing like a playdate to distroy your house and belongings. If it gets too quite be suspicious and investigate...they might have decided to open a 1 pound jar of glitter or take apart your husbands telescope to make a robot. Yes, two of the many examples of playdates gone wild from our house. Make em' play outside!!
Jen

citygirl said...

I have a friend who says that it is "much more gratifying to clean AFTER everyone has left. But, I am with you...I worry that the piles of toy, etc...will take someone's life or at least break a limb. It is nice to know though that I am not the only woman in Maine with the long strings of dusty cobwebs hanging off the walls....

Justine said...

When you're done, can you come over and clean our house, please?

maine momma of 3 (formally: stayathomemommy from maine) said...

I just caught up on your posts... can I tell you how much I love your blog! You are so very real and you just make me crack up. Thanks! And Good luck! I really hope you don't explode or lose any children in the near future ;)