Friday, April 10, 2009

Book Love

OK so I don't write about all the books that I read, mainly because I enjoy them...but I don't always devour them....

I finished The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society last night and....as a friend of mine says *le sigh* it was just great.

It was one of those books that I started rationing how many pages I would read at night because I wasn't really sure that I wanted it to end.

It is a book basically made up of letters back and forth between post WWII occupation Guernsey Island, and a writer and her editor. I loved all the characters, but mostly, I loved the main character Juliet...

I think mainly, I love reading books where the leading woman is strong and snarky, but not in a beat you over the head with an inner message, stereotypical "strong woman" way.

I have to be honest, I really get tired of needy, love sick women. I kinda want to slap them (I know I know, we have discussed my angry hand)

But really, I don't want to read about obedient, love sick, women all the time...that said, I also get tired of the Barracuda, independent, portrayed as a man, woman too....neither are realistic to me. I enjoy reading about women who are a little of everything, because ultimately, that is who we all are. A mixture of strength and weakness, intelligence and dumb-ass, sex appeal and comfortable shoes....

So hurrah! I like the story, hope you guys will too...anyone else read it?

1 comment:

citygirl said...

No, not yet. How did you find this book?