Friday, February 27, 2009

You have Two Choices

Henry has finally picked up on the "Two Choices" trick.

You know the one, when your kid is acting like a pill and you give them two choices. They think that you are letting them be in control, but really, they are two choices that end up with them doing what you wanted them to do anyway?

Yeah, well now Henry is constantly giving me two choices.

The other night it was:

Henry: "OK mommy, you have 2 choices. I can go to bed and cry, or I can stay up and play on PBS Kids"

Me: "What if I don't like my two choices?"

Henry: "That is all, you have two choices, I am going to send you to your room if you don't pick"

Me: "OK, I think I will just go to my room"

Henry looks at me and cocks his head a little....

Henry: "Ok, I think I will go downstairs and play PBS Kids...Goodnight mom"

That was so not how I had expected it to play out...so I gave him two choices...

I don't need to tell you what they were, other than telling you he picked going to bed quietly and giving up his parental duties until he was old enough to have the authority to give two choices.

SO THERE.

3 comments:

Rabid Outdoorsman said...

As I look at my two smiling little darlings and their current inability to really backtalk or yet outsmart the old man I want to slow down time the really relish these last moments . . . before the storm.

citygirl said...

Oh my...that is so totally funny! Sarah sends her father into time out, sets limits on my housework attempts and recently even reminded me that eating too many sweets is not healthy for me (one lollipop and a chocolate chip cookie is apparently too much). Now I understand why our parents used to say "Do as I say, not as I do". I resisted the urge to say that and instead came up with "yup, I know but I really want it right now and we eat pretty healthy around here". (and in my head..."so there")! Ya, I know...real mature, huh?

Stephanie said...

This is your best written blog entry to date!! I am still rolling on the floor thinking about Henry and the "cocking the head" I could just picture it.

Margo told me today "Mommy 'hate' is a bad word. I keep telling you that and you keep saying it. I am going to have to send you to you room if you say it one more time."

By the way I was talking about HATING THE SNOW!!!!